The Best and Cheapest Renters Insurance in Rhode Island
College is when young adults start their lives independently. This often includes renting an apartment or house for the first time. It is important to have renters insurance to protect your belongings in case of fire, theft, or other damage.
In this guide, we will explore the best and most affordable renters insurance options for college students living in Rhode Island.
Why do college students need insurance?
Most landlords require their tenants to have insurance. If there’s ever any damage to the property or someone gets hurt while on the premises, the landlord won’t be held liable. There are a few reasons why college students need insurance.
Many students live in off-campus housing and do not have the protection of a dorm or campus security. Additionally, many students have expensive electronics and other belongings that they would not be able to replace if they were stolen or damaged. Another reason is that while most college students are healthy, accidents can happen, and having health insurance is vital in case of an emergency.
It is essential for college students to have some form of insurance. Renter’s insurance is one type of insurance that can benefit them. This type of insurance typically covers the cost of replacing your belongings if they are lost or stolen and provides some liability coverage if you accidentally damage someone else’s property.
There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for renters insurance as a college student.
- You’ll want to ensure that your belongings are covered up to their replacement value. Replacement value is the amount it would cost to replace an item today, not the original amount you paid.
- Ensure that you have enough liability coverage if you accidentally damage someone else’s property. A good rule of thumb is to have at least $100,000 in liability coverage.
- Be sure to read the fine print of your policy to know what is and isn’t covered.
How much does renters insurance cost in Rhode Island per city?
If you are a renter in Rhode Island, it is important to have renters insurance. But how much does renters insurance cost in Rhode Island? It depends on the city you live in.
Here is a list of cities in Rhode Island with related monthly insurance costs per city.
|Premium Cost Per Month
Best Renters Insurance in Rhode Island
Finding the best renters insurance in Rhode Island can seem challenging, but it doesn’t have to be. By understanding what coverage is available and how much you need, you can find a policy that fits your budget and provides the protection.
As a college student, your child probably doesn’t have much in terms of possessions. But the few things they do have are important to them. That’s why it’s beneficial when you get USAA Renters Insurance. It’s affordable and will protect your child’s belongings if they are stolen or damaged. Pricing starts at $10 per month.
Plus, if your child has an auto policy with USAA, they can save up to ten percent on their renters insurance. So, it’s a win-win for everyone involved. Give your child the peace of mind that comes with knowing their belongings are protected by getting them USAA Renters Insurance today.
Types of insurance coverage USAA offers
- Liability coverage: Protects against legal responsibility for bodily injury or property damage caused by you, a family member, or your pet. It can also help pay for medical expenses if someone is injured while on your property.
- Personal property coverage: Protects your belongings if they are damaged, destroyed, or stolen. It includes items such as furniture, clothing, electronics, and more.
In general, Safeco renters insurance covers personal property coverage and protects your belongings if they’re damaged or stolen.
On the other hand, liability coverage also protects you if you’re held responsible for a guest’s injury while paying a visit to your house. The average monthly cost in Rhode Island is $12.45. They don’t have pricing for their policy, yet you can request a quote on their website.
Types of insurance coverage Safeco offers
- Personal Property Coverage: Your personal belongings are often some of your most valuable possessions. If they’re damaged or stolen, you’ll want to ensure that you have the financial protection to replace them.
Safeco’s renters insurance policies include personal property coverage as standard, so you can rest assured knowing that your belongings are protected in the event of a covered loss.
- Liability Coverage: Safeco’s liability coverage can help protect you if you’re ever accused of damaging someone else’s property, injuring them, or accidentally hurting someone or damaging their property.
Safeco will help defend you in court and pay for any damages that may be awarded. This type of coverage is essential because it can help protect you financially if you’re ever sued.
- Additional Living Expenses: Additional Living Expenses coverage protects you from paying out of pocket for things like food, lodging, and transportation if you need to live elsewhere while your home is unlivable.
Lemonade insurance is an excellent option for college students because it is affordable and provides coverage for many different types of incidents. For example, if your apartment catches fire or if a dog bites you, Lemonade will provide financial compensation to help cover the cost of damages.
Lemonade renters insurance cost per month in Rhode Island is $13. Apply for a quote to know your own rate and based on your coverage. So why not get Lemonade insurance for college students today? It could save you a lot of money in the long run!
Types of insurance coverage Lemonade offers
- Personal property coverage: Lemonade provides insurance for your personal belongings in case they’re lost, stolen, or damaged. This includes things like your clothes, furniture, electronics, and jewelry.
If you have expensive items, you can add them to your policy for an additional premium. Lemonade also offers liability coverage if you’re sued for damaging someone else’s property.
- Personal liability & medical bills coverage: Personal liability insurance covers you if someone is injured in an accident at your home or if you cause damage to someone else’s property. Medical bill coverage helps pay for hospital bills or other medical expenses if someone acquired injuries from an accident at your home.
Lemonade renters insurance extends to these circumstances, covering hospital bills or legal fees from a lawsuit. It also includes damages caused when you’re away from your home.
- Temporary living expenses coverage: Most renters insurance policies will cover the cost of a hotel stay, as well as other expenses such as food and laundry. This type of coverage can give you peace of mind knowing that you will not be left stranded if your home becomes uninhabitable.
When you live off-campus, your college or university’s insurance policy won’t replace your stolen laptop, bicycle, or textbooks. And if someone gets hurt in your apartment, you could be held liable. GradGuard insurance cost per month is $13. Protect yourself with GradGuard College Renters Insurance.
Type of insurance coverage GradGuard offers
- Personal Property coverage: GradGuard Renters Insurance for college students is one of the best investments. Not only does it protect your belongings from theft, fire, vandalism, wind, and sprinkler system, but it also gives you peace of mind knowing that you’re covered.
There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for renters insurance. First, consider what you need to insure.
Your belongings may be covered under your property coverage. Still, if you have expensive items like jewelry or artwork, you may want to add them as scheduled personal property with specified limits. You should also think about whether you need liability coverage in case someone is injured in your home and sues you. The average monthly cost in Rhode Island is $15.
Types of insurance coverage Nationwide offers
- Personal property coverage: Nationwide renters insurance protects your personal belongings if something happens to them, such as a fire or theft.
- Liability coverage: If someone is injured while they are on your property, or if you accidentally damage someone else’s property, your renters insurance will help to cover the costs.
- Credit card coverage: With this type of coverage, Nationwide insurance assures you that you’re protected against any unauthorized transactions on your credit cards and bank debit/ATM cards. You’ll also be covered for forged checks and counterfeit money.
- Building additions & alterations coverage: Your policy will pay for covered damages to these types of improvements if you have building additions and alterations. This coverage can help protect you from paying out of pocket for repairs or replacement costs.
American Family Insurance offers all standard renters insurance coverage options, covering liability, loss of use, and property damage with replacement. In addition to these common coverages, American Family Insurance also offers optional coverages such as identity theft and other optional coverage. The average monthly cost is $15.
Types of insurance coverage Allstate offers
- Personal Property
- Personal Liability
- Loss of Use / Additional Living Expenses
Allstate renters insurance is a safety net to have in place if the unthinkable happens. And with Allstate renters insurance, you can be sure that you’re getting a reliable and affordable policy with an average monthly rate of $16.
Types of insurance coverage Allstate offers
- Personal property protection: Allstate renters insurance protects your belongings, whether they’re inside or outside of your home. If they’re stolen or damaged, we’ll help you replace them.
- Family liability protection: If you’re held legally responsible for another person’s injuries or damage to their property. This type of coverage by Allstate renters insurance is vital because it helps you pay for medical bills, legal fees, and even repairs.
- Guest medical protection: This can help you pay for your guests’ medical expenses if incurred injuries or get into an accident on your property.
- Additional living expenses: If you must leave your home due to a covered loss, like a fire, other living expenses help reimburse you for the costs of staying out. This coverage is meant to help make sure you don’t get stuck in a hotel or other temporary living arrangement for too long while your home is being repaired.
Renters insurance in Rhode Island – what you need to know.
Renters insurance in Rhode Island is pretty much the same as renters insurance in any other state. In fact, it is one of those types of policies that has the fewest exclusions and most common coverage options included. The mainstay of a renters policy for an individual residing in this small New England state would be standard liability coverage, which protects against accidental bodily injury or property damage to others and their belongings when you are legally liable for them.
Other than basic coverage, additional coverages are available, such as coverage for valuables and loss of use.
What does renters insurance in Rhode Island state NOT cover?
If you live in an area that is prone to earthquakes, make sure that your renters insurance includes coverage for earthquake damage.
In most cases, standard renters insurance policies will not cover damage caused by an earthquake. However, some insurers offer earthquake coverage to their standard renters insurance policies.
Other parties’ property
If your roommate damages something or someone, other parties’ property, they will need to get their renters insurance policy to be covered. The renter insurance does not allow third parties in your insurance otherwise stated in the entire document.
Renters insurance will not cover any damage to the actual structure of your rental property. That is the responsibility of your landlord. If there is a fire, for example, and your apartment is destroyed, your renters insurance will not pay for the repairs and other damages.
Most policies will exclude any kind of water damage that is not caused by a broken pipe or water main. So, if your rental unit floods due to a hurricane or other natural disaster, you will most likely not be covered.
While most renters insurance policies in Rhode Island will provide some coverage for your personal belongings; certain items are excluded from these policies. Expensive stuff like computers and jewelry are not covered by renters insurance.
Get the coverage you need without breaking the bank
Renters insurance is an investment for anyone who rents a property. Whether you are looking for the best and cheapest renters insurance in Rhode Island or just want to make sure you are fully covered, we can help. Visit our website for all the information you need to choose the right policy for your needs.
Annie Johnson is a licensed insurance broker, specializing in auto, home and renters insurance products. She reviews insurance content on College Educated for accuracy and has a particular passion for making sure that college students and recent graduates have proper insurance coverage. Her latest passion includes researching all forms of business insurance, to ensure that recent college grads who look to entrepreneurship can have the right protection.